A Workbooks Import is used to define the field mappings that will be used to update existing records or create new ones if they don’t exist when a new file is made available on your SFTP/FTP server. Once an Import is created, it will be selected in the SFTP/FTP Settings Plugin to allow any processes you setup to use that Import as a Template.
Click Start > Import. Select the Record Type you wish to Import on the left-hand menu:
- On Stage 1 of the Import Wizard, upload your sample file and click next
- On Stage 2, change the Import Name to start with the word “TEMPLATE”. Make a note of the name that you set – this is required in the SFTP/FTP Settings Plugin.
- If the Import Name does not start with “TEMPLATE”, it will not be selectable in the SFTP/FTP Settings Plugin later.
- On Stage 3, you will need to now configure the mappings for the import based on your sample file. Click on each field on the left-hand “unmapped File Fields” section, and define a New Field Mapping for each one as shown
- On Stage 4, select the Import Mode to either “Only Create New Records”, “Only Update Existing Records” or “Update existing records and create new ones” based on your desired behaviour when a new file is found on the SFTP/FTP Server. If you choose to update existing records, you will need to specify a matching rule to ensure that duplicate records are not created – we’d suggest that this is something that is guaranteed to be unique on a given record, for instance an email address (for a person record) or if this is not relevant, an ID that is available in both Workbooks and the 3rd party system.
- Click “Next” to save the settings on this screen when you are happy.
The key thing to remember is that this Import will be used as a template for the automated imports, so you should map each field as though it was a manual Import. For instance, you can use fixed mappings, concatenate fields and extend through to other records as required. When the SFTP/FTP Process runs and finds a file on your server to process, a new Import is created, using the mappings from the Template you just created.
If you need to change the mappings at any point i.e. a new column has been added to your file, you will need to repeat this process to create a new Import. From here, navigate to the SFTP/FTP Settings window under Start > Configuration > Email & Integration. Select your existing process and change the “Import Template Name” setting to the new Import.
See our Knowledge Base here for more information on how to use the Import Tool.